Re: [opensuse-project] Single point of failure : nvidia
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:47:48 +0100
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Martin Schlander wrote:
Mandag den 25. november 2013 14:19:57 skrev C:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Bruno Friedman wrote:
I've seen an announce that the repo will be in place ~27 November, but
this will not answer my questions.
The problem isn't the repo hosting location is it? Moving it to
Packman or somewhere else isn't going to solve the issue with the
proprietary driver lagging so far behind the release. As you pointed
out, we have a single point of failure... a single person who has
taken responsibility for maintaining the driver. When that one person
is busy.. away... no prebuilt driver.

I like the idea of community maintained - maybe we can keep the driver
more up to date? More current? What would this entail though?

There's no monopoly on building the packages. The source rpms are even
available, anyone with the skills and desire can build them.

You forgot time :-)

The problem actually _is_ the hosting/distribution. Noone - including packman
- is too interested in distributing pre-built nvidia rpms and thus flirting
with gpl violation.

What I meant about hosting is that... isn't there already some
agreement with NVidia for hosting the RPMs? Do we need to change
this?

But only very few people have contacts at Nvidia and can get the packages
uploaded there.

OK, but... what is the process now? It's a bit of a mystery obscured
by all the shouting that happens when proprietary drivers get
discussed here.

The versionitis is a completely separate issue. Productive users wouldn't want
to risk such a driver update constantly.

Speaking as someone who wants to use the proprietary drivers.... I
actually do want to run the latest or close to latest NVidia video
drivers. I play games through Steam (probably too much), and the
changes in the video drivers there can and do dramatically affect the
playability of games. Sticking with the old 319.32 driver works (all
you get with openSUSE at the moment), but I would MUCH rather be
running the current 331.20 driver (which I have to
build/install/maintain myself).

Jim's suggestion of the fetch idea... that makes sense. If you
include DKMS, it can rebuild itself after a kernel upgrade (this is
99.9999% of the failure point for the "hard way" installation for
inexperienced users - I use DKMS and it's worked perfectly every time.
Can it be set up though to pull in the newer drivers when they come
available?

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11