Re: [opensuse-project] Single point of failure : nvidia
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:17:27 +0100
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 10:42 +0100, C wrote:
One simple answer... gaming. You cannot play Steam games (most) with
the Nouveau driver.

Hmm, I haven't found a game yet with issues since the improvements to
Nouveau in Kernel 3.8. Can you give an example or two?

Pretty much any game played through Wine... World of Warcraft,
Hearthstone etc. Most of the more demanding games in Steam to be
honest play either awful with Nouveau or not at all. Gaming is a
no-go with Nouveau.

I must be spoilt with GNOME, our built in display manager has been in
full control, without issues (in released versions anyway) of multiple
monitors on all of my machines since GNOME 3.0

KDE has a new video configuration tool which works well now.
Multimonitor setup is a pain in any OS of you want anything but the
default. Currently with Nouveau, I cannot get dual monitor working
right at all. One monitor (right) works OK, but the other (left) has
a "Signal out of range" box floating around on it all the time even
though it is displaying things correctly in the right resolution. The
only way to "fix" it is with the proprietary drivers.

I'm going to be a stickler here though and point out your use of the
words "until recently" and "historically"

I added those because every single time I mention issues - like those
I've outlined - people will ALWAYS pipe up and say "yah, but with
Kernel git version 3.13 blah blah and the latest driver built from
source etc etc I can make it work with these other tweaks" and so on.
A solution that might work but is 100% useless for the average user.

What I have to go on is... the Nouveau driver as supplied with
openSUSE 12.3. I tested it as I do every release, and it is a fail.
I cannot use it for gaming... for full screen video... and configuring
dual monitor does not work. I drop in the proprietary driver and
everything works perfectly.

Another issue... HDMI out doesn't work (at least it didn't a month or
so when I last tried). I get no sound... and video is impossible to
configure. Drop in the proprietary driver and it "just works" without
any effort.

I'm more interested in what our users need *now*
If Nouveau can satisfy 90-95% of our users owning nvidia cards,

Define satisfy. If you have a user who is using his/her computer for
email, web browsing and simple office use, then they will be fine if
they had an Intel video. They don't need NVidia.

getting the prop. driver published fast enough, but that we're failing
to educate our users that Nouveau is good enough for them now.

Sorry... it's not. It works in simple use cases, but anything beyond
that... you been to replace it with the proprietary driver.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.10