Re: [opensuse-project] Single point of failure : nvidia
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:59:47 +0100
On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 10:42 +0100, C wrote:
One simple answer... gaming. You cannot play Steam games (most) with
the Nouveau driver.

Hmm, I haven't found a game yet with issues since the improvements to
Nouveau in Kernel 3.8. Can you give an example or two?

Another.. at least up until recently, configuration. It's been
historically difficult to configure multiple monitors with Nouveau.

I must be spoilt with GNOME, our built in display manager has been in
full control, without issues (in released versions anyway) of multiple
monitors on all of my machines since GNOME 3.0

Another... performance. Playing full screen video (historically) has
been awful with Nouveau.

I'm going to be a stickler here though and point out your use of the
words "until recently" and "historically"
I totally agree with the fact that Nouveau was bad and the nvidia prop.
drivers were very valuable to the distribution in the past.
I'm more interested in what our users need *now*
If Nouveau can satisfy 90-95% of our users owning nvidia cards, but only
10-25% of our users realise that because of the nvidia prop. drivers
historical dominance, our 'point of failure' isn't that we aren't
getting the prop. driver published fast enough, but that we're failing
to educate our users that Nouveau is good enough for them now.