Re: [opensuse-project] MATE Desktop environment on openSUSE 13.1
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:58:33 -0500
On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 16:46:07 -0500
Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The rules for pushing things to the update repo have been getting
looser and I think we now see version updates getting pushed via
updates.

It is on case by case basis.
New KDE, or Gnome, etc. version that has small chances to break
installed system is such candidate. This usually means maintenance
version, like KDE 4.11.x to 4.11.x+1.

I think it is time to start considering pushing new packages via
updates as well. ...

This breaks the basic meaning of term update. In other words only
what is in distro release and installable from regular repos should
have updated version in update repo.

But why? (Please ignore the grammar issue of what "updates" means.)

My question is why shouldn't there be a centralized way to introduce
leaf packages between releases. After all 8 months is a long time.
Adding OBS repos certainly works, but it's not centralized.

Maybe a new primary repo like "leaves" (or "leaf packages" if we want
to make it easier for non-native speakers)

Anyway, I know I too have a package that I'm a week or two away from
pushing to factory. I know it can be added to Tumbleweed at that
point, but I'd also like to get it added to the 13.1 updates repo.

Tumbleweed is one option, and the other is development repo, as Statis
mentioned.

Tumbleweed allows core updates (ie. the kernel is constantly updated).

devel repos is conceptually fine, but it quickly gets excessive. I
had about a dozen "extra" repo's in 12.3 before I upgraded. I got rid
of all but 4 now that 13.1 is out.

Greg