Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC 14 has been announced and a set of proposals
On 10/10/2013 03:07 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Manu Gupta <manugupt1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Greg,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Manu Gupta <manugupt1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
3. Students must have committed some code / package or some other form
of contribution to openSUSE.

I should add Prior to GSoC here.

3. Students must have committed some code / package or some other form
of contribution to openSUSE. prior to GSoC. This sounds better I believe

How about:
3. Students must have contributed to openSUSE prior to being accepted
by openSUSE for GSoC participation. As with openSUSE team members,
contribution can be of many forms, but those applicants with a history
of supporting openSUSE packaging efforts and/or committing code
changes to projects where openSUSE is the upstream will be given
preference at the time of final selection.

fyi: Is that a realistic requirement? What percentage of past
awardees would have met that requirement?

The idea is to get in more contributions and bootstrap students to
openSUSE rather than waiting for the GSoC timelines.

Is anything specifically related to packaging appropriate? The GSoC
sponsorships are for coding not packaging. If a student knows nothing
about packaging what are they supposed to do?

Yes, but a few organizations have it. I am not sure if we will take in
packaging related tasks, but we should not completely turn them down.
Code related tasks will be of higher priority usually.

Fedora had it in 2011, a packaging related project
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/sanjay_ankur/14001

Very interesting. I proposed a packaging related project a couple
years ago and was told it wasn't appropriate.

For a project like openSUSE, packaging seems like it would be a great
GSoC project if Google is okay with it.

Well, I think it depends on the scale of the package. For example I mentored a project (Eucalyptus and CloudStack) which was heavily biased toward packaging. But there was also stuff to learn about cloud framework implementation and eventually image building and documentation.

With the exception of my student getting seriously ill, that worked pretty well. Packaging is part of what we do, as mentioned earlier thus it should not be excluded. But having a project that syas "package all of CPAN" (yes, we have automation, it's just an example, lets not split hairs) would not be going in the right direction, IMHO.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
Public Cloud Architect