Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC 14 has been announced and a set of proposals
  • From: Manu Gupta <manugupt1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 22:27:01 +0530
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Manu (dropping project),

A library that allows access to NTFS VSCs( volume shadow copies) is
part of 13.1 for the first time (libvshadow). I don't think any other
distro has it included yet. VSCs are similar to BtrFS snapshots at
least to some extent. (I know far more about VSCs than I do BtrFS
snapshots).

I think a great SoC project would be to do one of the following:

- write a GUI front-end that would mount the volume shadow copies in
/media or /run, etc. I guess it could be a new YaST module.

- integrate libvshadow into a filemanager such KDE's dolphin or mc
(midnight commander)

- integrate libvshadow into snapper (I'm not sure this makes since.
VSCs are readonly from Linux. They only change if the user is dual
booting to Windows.)

Are either of the above appropriate openSUSE GSoC ideas? I think the
scope of the projects are about right, but I'm not sure they are
openSUSE specific enough.

We encourage projects that are also beyond the scope of openSUSE
directly and all of them sound great ideas to me, it is just the
mentor who should have time.

Thanks
Greg
--