Re: [opensuse-project] Request for a Blue-Ray version of the upcoming openSUSE 12.2
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:53:45 -0700
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday 2012-08-30 14:49, Eugene Trounev wrote:

I'm not sure if something like this is possible for 12.2 which is only just a
few days away... p
Also there are a few important questions here:

2. What does Linux support of those devices look like

Pretty much all relevant devices since 1998 support ATAPI.

3. How much of our market has blue ray devices

I'll postulate that read-only discs with areal density less than a hard
disk will be irrelevant before Linux distros get a cd
mastering software that matches cdrecord.

Because hard disks are just so much faster, both in read speed
seek latency, and capacity, people are starting to keep many
disc images on disk already.

+1

Put the money into server bandwidth and increasing the number of
end-user applications packages in the distro relative to Fedora,
Debian/Ubuntu and Mageia. I can't do anything about the bandwidth on
the last mile, but I hope I never have to burn an optical disk again.
I've got a bag full of 4 GB USB sticks, but it's getting more
cost-effective to just boot up a network install USB stick and grab
the latest stable and secure packages at install time off the servers,
for *all* distros.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?