Re: [opensuse-project] Request for a Blue-Ray version of the upcoming openSUSE 12.2
  • From: Alexey Eromenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:47:14 +0300
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Eugene Trounev
<eugene.trounev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure if something like this is possible for 12.2 which is only just a
few days away... p

As said in the previous email, the actual BD images can appear few
days after the official announcement of 12.2.

Also there are a few important questions here:
1. How widespread is blueray this days?
3. How much of our market has blue ray devices

Not very high, but still noticeable; estimates say single-digit
percents among desktops and laptop PCs.

2. What does Linux support of those devices look like

Support for blue-ray is good; KDE's K3B can write BD discs and Linux
can read them. VirtualBox supports Blue-Ray, which is useful for
testing the ISO images.

(only point where Linux have problems with Blue-Ray is with encrypted
Blue-Ray-Video... but we speak about Blue-Ray-Data format here, which
is similar to DVD)

We should research on those topics and, if we see there is potential market,
we can look into investing time and men power into development and deployment
of blue ray media...

The good news: There is very few things to develop here. There is no
downside. Only upside.
Just patch the scripts to build the BD ISO media, and you're done.

Upsides:
1. Install from BD on real hardware is very fast - no need to download
any packages. Saves time !
2. Much better for virtualization (even for non-BD owning users) -- it
is very fast to install any OS from a virtual BD on VirtualBox or
VMware. Saves time !
3. Offline capability: some PCs are not connected to the Internet for
security or other purposes. Having full openSUSE on BD would be great
! (currently the ONLY other distro to offer this offline capability on
Blue-Ray is Debian)
4. Can be done few days after official DVD images.
5. Very little effort to develop & test (testing can be done in VirtualBox).
6. something to tell to marketing guys, on announcement date

Best wishes,
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"