Re: [opensuse-project] Network configuration future
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:59:40 +0200
* Olaf Kirch <okir@xxxxxxxx> [2012-08-29 12:02]:

Hi all,

I would like to revive a proposal that I have made a while ago, regarding
a framework for managing network interfaces. I called it wicked at that time,
and it's still called that way, but because of potential confusion with WICD
I'll probably change the name soonishly.

This project has been going on for a while now, and is getting into a more
presentable shape.

Given the breadth and the width of the whole topic, I won't be able to
cover all aspects of the system in one email - instead, I want to give you
my perspective on why I think we need something new here, and what it should
look like from my point of view.

Your feedback is very much welcome!

Regards,
Olaf
[...]
We've got Network Manager, which is also doing it's job nicely and won't
give you any headaches if you prevent it from stepping on anybody else's
toes.

Then we've got libvirt and netcf, which do kind of an okay job if you
manage to frob netcf enough that it deals with configuration files other
than RedHat's, and as long as your network configuration doesn't get too
complicated. Which happens quickly in a virtualization environment. Oh,
and then there are things like openvswitch, which is crucial in a cloud
environment but not at all integrated with any of the other components.

If you were able to implement wireless networking together with vlan
and bridging support and put that behind a decent UI you could
make me and a lot of sysadmins and developers happy who use
virtualization setups on their laptops. The NM guys haven't been
able to put something like that together in 7 years now despite
RH apparently pushing NM usage even on servers.
--
Guido Berhoerster