Re: [opensuse-project] Network configuration future
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:39:44 +0100
On 29 August 2012 11:02, Olaf Kirch <okir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to revive a proposal that I have made a while ago, regarding
a framework for managing network interfaces. I called it wicked at that time,
and it's still called that way, but because of potential confusion with WICD
I'll probably change the name soonishly.

Definitely need the name changing, I'm unfortunately failing to come
up with any suitable cheesy names.

This project has been going on for a while now, and is getting into a more
presentable shape.

Given the breadth and the width of the whole topic, I won't be able to
cover all aspects of the system in one email - instead, I want to give you
my perspective on why I think we need something new here, and what it should
look like from my point of view.

I've been a happy user of NetworkManager for many years now, it
generally just works for me on my laptop. I'm not saying it is
flawless, but it certainly works more than it breaks (at least for
me). On my servers I use good old ifup/down, but would love to use a
single method across all my machines. I think XML is certainly sane,
and it concisely breaks components down into readable and crucially
understandable segments.

Out of interest, how much work would be required to integrate your
proposals within NM (let's say upstream were happy for the changes)?
My only concern here is the potential backlash for trying to re-invent
the wheel in a relatively crowded market. I'm not saying it isn't
warranted, just trying to understand the facts behind it all. Off the
top of my head I can think of three tools all primarily aimed at
desktop/laptop/tablet/$CLIENT - NetworkManager, WICD, Connman. The
most featured being NM, but it is still very much aimed at $CLIENT
machines and not servers. How would your proposal integrate with
system tools, like YaST? Would it be a standalone application that
would effectively deprecate that function of YaST, how extensible
would it be (if someone had a strange requirement that doesn't fit a
traditional use case)? I take it features like VPNs etc would be
supported out of the box?

I'd like to hear and crucially see more info as I personally think
there is merit in the idea, but then again having ideas is the easy
part it's the execution of those ideas that can be a PITA.

Regards,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa