Re: [opensuse-project] Beautiful 1-Click Installer
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 23:35:55 Saurabh Sood wrote:
Hi,
Google Summer of Code has come to an end, and I am pleased to announce
that the new 1-Click Installer is ready for testing by the community.
While still requiring some work, it is still quite nifty, and
simplifies the installation to a great extent. I will be working on
the remaining tasks involved, and it would be awesome if I get
feedback and how I could make it better. I welcome all feedback on the
installer, and hope to make it even better in the future.

I also take this opportunity to thank the entire organisation for the
opportunity to work on this project, and my mentors, Cornelius
Schumacher and Matt Barringer for guiding me throughout the course of
the programme.

OBS Repository :
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=home%3Asaurabhsood91&package
=oneclickinstaller

Cheers,
Saurabh Sood

PS : I have not yet been able to handle the MIME types, so the
application has to be run from the terminal, passing the ymp file as
parameter. I will be working on this part soon.

I tried but you don't build for 12.2 which is what I run :D

I forced installation but of course it bails on the incompattible libzypp in
openSUSE 12.2...

So, I tried it on my media center. It works, but there are some caveats:
- we're talking a slow system. All the stuff that happens first ( see a bunch
of 'zypper info' calls on the command line) makes you think nothing happens -
it takes several minutes for anything to show. I'd prioritise showing a dialog
that would say something like "gathering information...".
- It shows lots of details that don't tell me anything. GPG key? Valid until
WHAT? Sorry, I don't care. Even with details hidden it's too much.
- clicking 'hide details' takes like a minute to execute, in that time the
dialog hangs.
- themeing/look of the dialog is terrible... at least, white, sidebar,
buttons?!?!
- for widelands (my choice of YMP file) it claimed to install "1 package from
4 sources" and indeed, upon installation, it showed just that - after
installing one package from one source I had to cancel the action to get the
dialog to disappear.

Despite the hickups, I'm really happy with this - you already improved on the
YaST one quite a bit so keep it up :D

Hugs,
Jos