Re: Fwd: Re: [opensuse-project] UEFI Secure Boot
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/08/12 19:44, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:59:26 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

My question is: what would happen when one should use - as I did today -
a bootable CD like System Rescue Disc? (I am guessing that if this were
the openSUSE installation DVD then it would have some code in it which
would allow it to boot without problems.)

The openSUSE installation DVD will of course boot, having all the
proper signatures that you needed to install the OS in the first place.
And it will be booting the kernel present on the DVD, which is signed by
the SUSE key.

In case you wanted to create your own rescue DVD that'd be booting
custom kernels, that'll be possible, too, using the same shim loader
you'll be able to enroll your MOK, or just use one if already present on
the system.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.

My apologies for using the wrong name for the CD I mentioned above,
however I was wondering how a bootable CD such as the SystemRescueCD which
comes from systemrescuecd.org
(http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage), and similar bootable
media, would boot under this UEFI process?

BC

It was my impression that most UEFI bios solutions would not test CD boot media.

Forcing CD/DVD boot media to be signed with a well known key would end
the use of CD/DVD boot media for all but Microsoft I suspect.

(ie. How does the initial openSUSE install get on to a box if install
media doesn't have a way around the signing/validation rules.)

The same will also need to apply to USB boot media I hope.

Greg