Re: [opensuse-project] Re: UEFI Secure Boot
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:10:50 +0200
* Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2012-08-10 07:53]:
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:13:09 -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Won't servers usually be sold as part of a fully-configured and
licensed package from major vendors / hardware-software partnerships?

I have never, ever, ever seen a server that was dual-boot outside of a
lab.

If Windows isn't involved, UEFI's Secure Boot can and should be
disabled.

Exactly. I can't help thinking that that is not really much of a use
case?

Ensuring the integrity of the boot process by preventing the
firmware, boot loader or kernel from being trojaned, in
particular in combination with disk encryption. Note that this
functionality is already available in openSUSE today via
TrustedGRUB if you have a TPM.
--
Guido Berhoerster