[opensuse-project] update about openSUSE Team at SUSE
Hi,

As you probably know, the team within SUSE supporting the openSUSE community
is going through some changes. To begin with, I have joined SUSE as Team
Leader [1] and we are hiring [2] to fill other vacant positions.
Secondly, to reflect the team's increased responsibility for openSUSE within
the company, we've dropped the term 'Boosters' to become simply 'the openSUSE
team'.

We are concentrating our efforts on three main tasks.
a.- 12.2 Release
b.- openSUSE Conference and openSUSE Summit (especially the first one since it
is larger)
c.- Internal reorganization

a.- 12.2 Release

Those of you involved in the technical side are already aware that Ismail
Doenmez is now part of the (virtual) Release Team, assisting Coolo with
release management. This team is working alongside you on having the best
possible openSUSE 12.2 release from the technical point of view.

The release process of openSUSE, like any other complex integration process,
requires the participation of people from different teams and expertise
areas. An open project combines community, SUSE and other professional
contributions as well as external involvements like media production. This
makes the management/coordination perspective even more complex.

One of the things we think is needed is to update the documentation related
with the release. We thought it was the first step to go through the entire
process, analyze it and improve it for future releases.

So, we are talking internally with the people involved in previous releases
collecting what they did, trying to have a simple document as an early
result. Yes, this is preventing some of us on focusing on "real release work"
for a few days, but we hope that will save us time in the near future.

Whatever we do can only ever be partial if we do not take account of the huge
amount of work on openSUSE done by the community.

So next week, we will publish a draft describing the release processes, so
that you can give us input for an open release process. The goal is not to
have a perfect document this first iteration, but a useful document. This draft
will include the actual 12.2 release date. As you can see, we are aiming to
meet the adjusted schedule.

b.- oSC'12

We will give you some update about the openSUSE Conference (from our
perspective) later this month. Please ping any of the team members if we
haven't done it by the end of August. Obviously you can ask Michal Hrusecky
for details any time.

c.- Internal reorganization

SUSE is concentrating the professionals that work full time on openSUSE around
a single team. So in addition to the technical support we usually provided,
this team will also provide community, marketing and economic (coordination)
support to the Free Software project. We will also serve as link to the
service team, who takes care of the infrastructure, and other teams within
SUSE which work is directly on indirectly related to the community.

The goal of this new configuration is:
1.- Simplify management and coordination.
2.- Increase community engagement.
3.- Improve efficiency.

We expect to provide a clearer view of how these changes can be executed
during the openSUSE Conference. The idea right now is to use the event to
collect as much input from you as possible. we will close our Action Plan
afterward.

[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2012-06/msg00258.html
[2] http://www.suse.com/careers

Saludos