Re: [opensuse-project] Re: UEFI Secure Boot
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:13:09 -0700
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 18:17:30 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:

I'm thinking of the situation of a rented 1u (or similar) box far from
my location. I've rented those before that I could have the provider
dump a default OS (opensuse/SUSE, fedora/Redhat) on and then I take it
from there.

In such a situation Secure Boot could be disabled since the OS doesn't
require it to boot. The only time you'd need to use this is if the
system dual-booted Linux and Windows 8, because the Windows 8
installation wouldn't boot if Secure Boot was disabled on the hardware.

Jim

Won't servers usually be sold as part of a fully-configured and
licensed package from major vendors / hardware-software partnerships?
Like IBM-Red Hat, IBM-SUSE, Dell-Canonical, etc.? This is a case that
actually matters, and for Attachmate/SUSE not to have a solution when
Red Hat and Canonical do is a serious competitive disadvantage!

--
Jim Henderson

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://j.mp/QCsXOr

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.