[opensuse-project] Re: Bugzilla account creation.
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 02:42:10 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:36:29 -0500, Rajko wrote:

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:10:47 +0000 (UTC)
Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... but without concrete data, it's difficult to even prioritize this
possible issue.

Core issue is that we have mess in login, sign in, sign up, register
path, and it is not possible issue. If you have mess on a first step
that new user has to take, then what one can expect later.

But Rajko, that's still anecdotal, not hard data. It's guessing there
must be a problem because of how it's designed.

That's not to say there isn't a problem, but as a friend of mine who
works for Google is fond of saying, "the plural of 'anecdote' is not
'data'."

On the forums alone, we have currently 69,105 registered members - which
means we have that many people who have gone through the registration
process for the forums alone - and once that's done, they have access to
Bugzilla, the wiki, and everything else in the openSUSE project that
requires authentication. Even SUSE Studio and OBS.

Significantly less than 1% of those people have complained about the
process it took to get registered - and the openSUSE forums have always
used this registration process since their inception with the forum merge
project.

It is hilarious that people come with indirect advice to fake data in a
form (data integrity is not checked), in order to satisfy customer
registration form, which is not intended for creation of openSUSE
account, but Novell customer account, but it is sad that after 4 days
detailed report I checked again and nothing has changed in the issue
that requires nothing more then to fix few links.

Who should know about this to expect fix in another few days?
(Let me guess, bugzilla.novell.com :)

While there are still issues being fought with regards to login
performance and whatnot, I would expect the prioritization of something
that has generally been seen to work well (or at least not cause a lot of
complaints for all those who have gone through the process).

Note that I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch. I'm just saying
that relative to the other issues that have been under investigation, a
working (if even somewhat convoluted) registration process is relatively
"small potatoes".

I wouldn't expect it to be "fixed" in a short period of time because it
is at least working, if not what some (myself included) would call
"efficient".

Jim

--
Jim Henderson