[opensuse-project] Re: Bugzilla account creation.
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 23:11:25 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 18:03:30 -0500, Rajko wrote:

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:45:41 -0700 Linda Walsh
<suse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a 1 time thing that needs to be done
(I did it ~ 8 years ago)...

Right, but it is not about number of clicks to login.
It is about information one has to provide to sign up, that some people
consider excessive. They report bug, but no amount of time spent
convincing them to sign up, changed their mind about filling bug report
directly at bugzilla.novell.com .

It's not necessary, though, to provide accurate information. AFAIK
there's not a lot of even field format validation on those forms.

But perhaps the SUSE BU can find out if there's a way to require less
information for SUSE-specific (or even openSUSE-specific) registrations.

It is about 3-4 openSUSE users that I know about and it is for period of
last few years, which is insignificant, if one would not know:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html

Due to this issue alone, openSUSE lost quite some number of reports, and
most likely users.

I don't see that users would be lost as a result of this - since there's
no login requirement to download the ISOs nor is that used for ML access
or IRC access.

They could keep keep me logged in longer

Inactivity counter is about 4 hours.

For Access Manager, that is true. But for the web app itself, it may
maintain its own session timer. There are sometimes weird issues (we see
them in the forums occasionally because vBulletin has its own session
timer as well) because "activity" is defined as "interacting with the
Access Manager system" - so if you do something that would require a
login, AM checks to see if you are authenticated already, and if you are
and have access, you are just passed through - and AIUI the session timer
is extended at that point.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson