Re: [opensuse-project] larger openSUSE deployments?
  • From: Kim Leyendecker <kdleyendeckerj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 07:53:27 +0200
Howdy y'all

please forgive me, but it seems like it's time for another round of
"how should we lead our project" This time: "Part IV - The return of
the dictatorship?"

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Agustin,

well, call it the usual suspects ;-) e.g. stability and long term
commitment. Check out Ubuntu LTS projects to get an idea. Please don't
get me wrong - I'm still commited to openSUSE in every respect. On a
large part due to me being here since 1997 at least (as one of the SuSE
beta tester), the KDE(3) support, and finally, I don't like the debian
way of building packages.

But I do note, that the openSUSE project is cleft in so many small
areas, that in the end, it is nearly unpossible to concentrate their
attainments in stable products again.

Linux would be nowhere today without some kind of benevolent
dictatorship, and that seems to be missing here (well, sure,
controlling a software project is easier than controlling a
distribution of some such.., especially when driven by community effort
at large). Shuttleworth seems to get this right.

Really? You think Shuttleworth is doing right? As far as I see, his
whole "being the leader of Ubuntu" kind of thinking makes the project
unattractive. I personally think that benevolent dictatorship only
works in projects like Slackware (used to be a one man show) or
projects like Linux (used to be a one man show in the early
beginning.)

IMHO, the only thing we should add is a steering committee with little
power, that /can/ intervene *if* something's going wrong.

BTW, imho, software should be released when it's done, not when eight
months are over and the schedule complains for a new release.

Just my opinion,

---kdl