Re: [opensuse-project] UEFI situation
On 26/06/12 15:13, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Michael Chang <mchang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

As one of the guys AJ mentioned who is working on the issue, I could
tell that two basic principles for openSUSE

[snip]

2. Be equal or friendly with other distribution
That means the solution has to align with what most other distribution
be able to choose and would allow co-operate with them. This implies
the windows signing service would be used as it's an fair offer for
all with a universal key installed. Until there's another signing
authority recommended by uefi forum, this is the only possible way to
go.
The Fedora proposal, presumably blessed by Red Hat, seems radically
different from the Ubuntu proposal, presumably blessed by Canonical.
So is there a "middle ground" between the two that would be friendly
to both?

I am now wondering if this whole thing may be just an unnecessary PITA caused by yet another MS stumble.

Like all "empires" which must come to an end at some point, I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for one certain behemoth?:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/has-microsoft-opened-the-door-to-the-linux-desktop/11282?tag=nl.e539

[......]

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 and kernel 3.4.3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor