Re: [opensuse-project] UEFI situation
On Monday, June 25, 2012 11:54:57 AM M. Edward Borasky wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Ricardo Chung <amon0.thoth1@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Sure not before openSUSE 12.3. The way UEFI+SecureBoot will impact other
than Windows 8 operating systems will be certainly known after the next
6 months. The ARM architecture is the critical one (Windows Logo
Certification specification forbid to disable SecureBoot ). Other like
x86 architecture might be flexible (including a way to disable the
SecureBoot option).

In the meantime, another option than Fedora+RedHat have decided is not
visible shortly.

The more we know about the UEFI+SecureBoot and boot requirements process
will increase our chances to propose another approach.

Canonical / Ubuntu just announced their approach. I don't remember the
details, but it was different from Red Hat / Fedora's and involved
replacing GRUB2 as the bootloader because the GPL wouldn't allow what
the Ubuntu team proposes. Personally, I think the fewer GPL components
a system has, the better, but I'm not in a position to impose that on
others. ;-)

Edward,

You are right. Ubuntu is planning their own deployment on Ubuntu OEM by
replacing Grub2 with "Intel's efilinux"
(http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-details-Ubuntu-UEFI-Secure-
Boot-plans-1624444.html)
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-June/035445.html

I would dare to say this is more reactive than anything else to generate the
general opinion.

Regards,

--
Ricardo Chung | Panama