Re: [opensuse-project] UEFI situation
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:54:57 -0700
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Ricardo Chung <amon0.thoth1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sure not before openSUSE 12.3. The way UEFI+SecureBoot will impact other than
Windows 8 operating systems will be certainly known after the next 6 months.
The ARM architecture is the critical one (Windows Logo Certification
specification forbid to disable SecureBoot ). Other like x86 architecture
might be flexible (including a way to disable the SecureBoot option).

In the meantime, another option than Fedora+RedHat have decided is not visible
shortly.

The more we know about the UEFI+SecureBoot and boot requirements process will
increase our chances to propose another approach.

Canonical / Ubuntu just announced their approach. I don't remember the
details, but it was different from Red Hat / Fedora's and involved
replacing GRUB2 as the bootloader because the GPL wouldn't allow what
the Ubuntu team proposes. Personally, I think the fewer GPL components
a system has, the better, but I'm not in a position to impose that on
others. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.