Re: [opensuse-project] UEFI situation
On Monday, June 25, 2012 10:16:32 AM Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 17:12 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 02:43:41PM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
So what was the decision/end result with the UEFI situation? Where
does
OpenSUSE stand with the situation?

I talked to AJ and information currently is:

There is no final decision nor an end result.

Some SUSE engineers are working on UEFI secure boot, but
otherwise nothing was finalized.

Ciao, Marcus

Is there an expected target date for when such a solution might be
decided upon? (Whatever the ultimate solution will be.) I guess
primarily the question would also be, which openSUSE release will likely
have the UEFI solution?

Sure not before openSUSE 12.3. The way UEFI+SecureBoot will impact other than
Windows 8 operating systems will be certainly known after the next 6 months.
The ARM architecture is the critical one (Windows Logo Certification
specification forbid to disable SecureBoot ). Other like x86 architecture
might be flexible (including a way to disable the SecureBoot option).

In the meantime, another option than Fedora+RedHat have decided is not visible
shortly.

The more we know about the UEFI+SecureBoot and boot requirements process will
increase our chances to propose another approach.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Chung | Panama
Linux & FOSS Ambassador