[opensuse-project] Our progress in taking the list back
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:54:31 +0200
Hi all

I'm sure everyone will have noticed that we, collectively, made
substantial progress in taking back our list as our media of
communication.

There have been, and still are, quite a few interesting topics
of discussion over here, and the tone remained civil and even
friendly, quite focused, and productive.

So let's pat ourselves on the back and keep up the good work :)

And if you believe I'm wrong, please let me (or even everyone on
the list) know. To fix issues, we first need to be aware of them
-- people have different sensibilities and goals, there are
difficulties with language, etc..., so if you believe there is
something wrong, please let us know instead of staying in your
corner with it or even going away :)

But let's not keep it there, let's think and discuss about ways
to keep improving it.

Personally, I believe we should look at ways to improve the
productivity of discussions, as the threads are still really
long. That is fine (as long as it doesn't go off-topic or turns
into a fight), but we might want to think of ways of capturing
the results of such discussions as they get swamped easily into
the depths of threads.

1. Better threads
-----------------
A suggestion (including to myself): when you want to reply
something somewhat related, ask yourself whether it wouldn't be
better suited as a new thread with a Subject line that better
identifies what is is about, that should help focusing threads
and making them less long.

2. Capturing the essence in the wiki
------------------------------------
Another idea would be to try to detect when discussions become
"TODOs" where we'd need someone to take ownership of the task in
order to drive it, and also summarize the topic a bit as a wiki
page (e.g. as Fedora does it for its Features pages, e.g. [1]
and [2]). That way the substance won't get lost and we avoid
repeating the same things over and over again.

A very useful task that doesn't require any technical (or other
specific) skills by the way and hence up to anyone to jump in
and do :)

(Owning a task doesn't mean that you need to have expertise on
it, but rather that you see it as your job to extract substance
and summarize discussions on that thread/topic, and maybe even
poke a few people to get things done.)

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/systemd
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

cheers