[opensuse-project] Introducing myself and GSoC syslog-ng MongoDB driver project
  • From: Eun Kyung <ekyung01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:15:27 -0400
Greetings, fellow developers.

I recently joined the openSUSE and syslog-ng communities because of
Google Summer of Code, and I thought this would be a good time to
briefly introduce myself. I am studying Information Technology in
Dublin, Ireland, and I got accepted for GSoC 2012 to work on the
MongoDB destination driver project.

Syslog-ng, the leading logging platform for log collection and
management, has been storing logs in MongoDB for over a year, but the
technical documentation on the implementation is rudimentary, which
impedes the improvement of the driver's functionality and speed. The
goal of this project is to enhance the MongoDB destination driver for
syslog-ng, to make it more robust, scalable and performant.

Specific tasks and deliverables will include:
- modifying syslog-ng's internal value pairs subsystem so that it will
be able to emit a tree of values, instead of just a flat name:value
list;
- teaching the mongodb driver to walk the tree, and constructing BSON
objects out of it, and using 'insert' instead of 'upsert';
- adding support for bulk inserts into a MongoDB, instead of inserting
one by one

My GSoC project proposal can be found at
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/ekyung/1

This is my first time working on an open source project, and I've
liked a lot so far. My mentor has been tremendously friendly and
helpful.

I'm looking forward to a great summer of code with the syslog-ng
community, and I would certainly like to keep you posted on the
discussions and patches I will be making. Meanwhile, your comments and
feedback would always be helpful.

Best regards,
Eun Kyung