Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:29:55 -0700
On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 08:33 +1000, Helen South wrote:
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
jdd wrote:

Le 16/05/2012 18:41, Bryen M Yunashko a écrit :

And let's be honest. People don't want to read, read, read. They
encounter a problem and just want to report it and be done with it.

I don't think so.

I disagree, Bryen is right - people don't want loads of reading.
Everyone is very busy. I NEVER watch videos, I just won't spend ten
minutes watching some poor quality explanation of something I can read
in thirty seconds. But we need to find some middle road: we are
constantly pushing the fact that we are user-friendly enough for less
expert users, so we're going to have to deal with bugs from those
users.
Agreed. Concise written explanations with an eye to the n00b is ideal.
Videos aren't a bad OPTION to have linked in the articles.

people want they bug *fixed*. It's of no use to have more bugs
reported if we can't fix them...

Actually fixing a bug and getting the fix installed on a user system is
quite a long process, especially for inexperienced users.

This is important. We can include some documentation at some point in
the process - perhaps a thank-you note post-submission (once someone
has invested the time to submit, they are more likely to read it) -
that explains this: That the bug fix may take a long time to
implement, and they may need to do a fresh install.
A little encouragement and personal interaction go a long way. There are
times one will file bugs, and they never hear a thing.

now bugzilla is frightening, so only solid people report, and then
this is not enough to have good reports and fixed bugs.

Agreed, it is daunting. What if the the landing-page had two simple
there!" and two "I want to report a bug and haven't used bugzilla.
Take me to the easy forum OR show me how to use bugzilla" and have a
dedicated forum thread for bug reporting, where we can more easily
discuss a bug and a third party can put it on bugzilla. The issue
there would be (a) personnel to do the escalating and (b)possible loss
of information.
Brilliant! Though, we could possibly have a simple (and sloppy?) front
end available. Maybe even as a widget. Call it Stomper.

could it be possible / usefull to *require* an IRC chat *before*
reporting a bug????

No doubt very useful, but hardly possible for a non-commercial
operation.

That'd put off a lot of users. Many don't use IRC. Could say the same
for forums, but I think people are more comfortable with forums
generally.
Good point. I take it for granted that I know IRC now, but when I was
first learning it, there was a nasty learning curve. This may be
feasible if we had a web-based front-end that looks like a regular 'ol
chat room plugin. Then it is presented as a paradigm familiar to more
users than raw IRC.

Another idea is that we have some non-technical flags on a bug: stops
install process/affects configuration/security/ random UI
problems/obstacle to productivity/printing/ specific software
problems/no sound/visual glitches/ other small things that are
annoying /trivial issue that looks unprofessional - that might allow
a keen but less technical user to assist with triage.
VERY good idea. I may not be useful in a kernel panic, but I can be
useful in many other areas.