Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:33:19 +1000
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
jdd wrote:

Le 16/05/2012 18:41, Bryen M Yunashko a écrit :

And let's be honest.  People don't want to read, read, read.  They
encounter a problem and just want to report it and be done with it.

I don't think so.

I disagree, Bryen is right - people don't want loads of reading.
Everyone is very busy. I NEVER watch videos, I just won't spend ten
minutes watching some poor quality explanation of something I can read
in thirty seconds. But we need to find some middle road: we are
constantly pushing the fact that we are user-friendly enough for less
expert users, so we're going to have to deal with bugs from those
users.

people want they bug *fixed*. It's of no use to have more bugs
reported if we can't fix them...

Actually fixing a bug and getting the fix installed on a user system is
quite a long process, especially for inexperienced users.

This is important. We can include some documentation at some point in
the process - perhaps a thank-you note post-submission (once someone
has invested the time to submit, they are more likely to read it) -
that explains this: That the bug fix may take a long time to
implement, and they may need to do a fresh install.

now bugzilla is frightening, so only solid people report, and then
this is not enough to have good reports and fixed bugs.

Agreed, it is daunting. What if the the landing-page had two simple
there!" and two "I want to report a bug and haven't used bugzilla.
Take me to the easy forum OR show me how to use bugzilla" and have a
dedicated forum thread for bug reporting, where we can more easily
discuss a bug and a third party can put it on bugzilla. The issue
there would be (a) personnel to do the escalating and (b)possible loss
of information.

could it be possible / usefull to *require* an IRC chat *before*
reporting a bug????

No doubt very useful, but hardly possible for a non-commercial
operation.

That'd put off a lot of users. Many don't use IRC. Could say the same
for forums, but I think people are more comfortable with forums
generally.

Another idea is that we have some non-technical flags on a bug: stops
install process/affects configuration/security/ random UI
problems/obstacle to productivity/printing/ specific software
problems/no sound/visual glitches/ other small things that are
annoying /trivial issue that looks unprofessional - that might allow
a keen but less technical user to assist with triage.

--
IRC: helen_au
helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx