Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:14:51 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 19:01:20 +0200, jdd wrote:

could it be possible / usefull to *require* an IRC chat *before*
reporting a bug????

My inclination would be not to require a specific interaction (IRC,
MLs, forums, etc), but to strongly encourage that before a bug be
submitted that it be discussed in one of our communications venues to
make sure it isn't, say, a configuration error.

Statistically speaking, support organizations tend to spend much less
time on software defects when working with customers, but find that
most support incidents are related to either usability or
configuration (or some combination of the two).

So there is clearly value in that interaction with others before
logging a bug.

Most definitely - and we already do that in the fora and on the mailing
lists. Quite well too, I think.

I wonder if there's any way we can get a sense out of the resolved
bugs how many of them were configuration or user education issues
rather than bona fide bugs?

In theory bona fide bugs should lead to updates, which would mean the
report having been assigned with NEEDINFO to maintenance@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.6°C)