Re: [opensuse-project] bugzilla resolution "OBSOLETE"
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:52:47 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2012/05/16 17:38 (GMT) Jim Henderson composed:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 12:41:04 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

I like this idea in concept.

I don't...

[...]

Instead of OBSOLETE, do like mozilla.org -> EXPIRED or INCOMPLETE,
neither of which judge what has been done, and leave for
consideration possible propriety to reopen with updated
information.

Don't forget too that one justification for INVALID can be
obsolescence.

Looking briefly through bugzilla.mozilla.org re the Bugzilla
software product, the word obsolete seems to have a special meaning
reserved for use with attachments.

If it were up to me, "OBSOLETE" would not be added.

It actually sounds to me as if you are in favor of the idea
conceptually,
but the specifics of the name are open. The idea being that we want
to identify bugs that are possibly no longer relevant in current
releases.

Would that be a fair statement?

I'm not entirely convinced INVALID isn't adequate for purging bugs
against unsupported releases.

INVALID is a smack in the face for the reporter. OBSOLETE is not much
better - imho, we have to be careful about the wording even if the
outcome is the same. Let's try to be kind and encouraging without
heaping too much works on ourselves :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.6°C)