[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:47:43 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 19:01:20 +0200, jdd wrote:

could it be possible / usefull to *require* an IRC chat *before*
reporting a bug????

My inclination would be not to require a specific interaction (IRC, MLs,
forums, etc), but to strongly encourage that before a bug be submitted
that it be discussed in one of our communications venues to make sure it
isn't, say, a configuration error.

Statistically speaking, support organizations tend to spend much less
time on software defects when working with customers, but find that most
support incidents are related to either usability or configuration (or
some combination of the two).

So there is clearly value in that interaction with others before logging
a bug.

I wonder if there's any way we can get a sense out of the resolved bugs
how many of them were configuration or user education issues rather than
bona fide bugs?

Jim

--
Jim Henderson