[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:44:09 +0000 (UTC)
On Wed, 16 May 2012 11:41:05 -0500, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:

Good documentation and training is always helpful. But we can't
guarantee that people go to these places. We tell someone "File a
bug!" and point them to bugzilla.novell.com. They're faced with a
daunting interface right from the get-go.

True. But what we can do is encourage people to go there. There are
bound to be people who want to report bugs but are intimidated by the
process because they're unfamiliar with it.

So the goal of such material would be to lower that barrier to use.

And let's be honest. People don't want to read, read, read. They
encounter a problem and just want to report it and be done with it. So
our first step should be making bugzilla less daunting (if that's even
possible.) And again, some people have suggested in the past to do away
with bugzilla and start anew with either a dedicated openSUSE bugzilla
or some other bug tracking software.

Sure. I'm thinking more like online demonstrations, no more than say 5
minutes or so, that cover essential operations.

The way people learn in the modern digital age is in small snippets.
They need to be able to (a) find the relevant information, and (b)
quickly consume it so they can apply it.

Khan Academy's model would, I think, be very appropriate to what we're
doing here. Audio/video demo that covers an atomic operation in a short
period of time, rather than a top-down overview of the entire system that
takes a couple hours to consume and digest.

I have a feeling that while we're addressing resolving existing reported
bugs, we probably have a wealth of unreported bugs out there simply
because people feel uncomfortable reporting them. :-)

One of the outcomes I'm expecting is that when we make it easier to
report bugs, more bugs will be reported. That's why it's important to
have a scalable process for evaluating and prioritizing bugs before we
start opening the floodgates - otherwise we'll end up with something
that's even less manageable.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson