Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 12:07:40 -0500
On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 19:01 +0200, jdd wrote:
The best ever debugging system I experienced was an online chat
system. Not IRC, pear to pear (one to one) system.

I don't imagine we can manage this. The main advantage is that it
works with a simple browser, no special IRC config

could it be possible / usefull to *require* an IRC chat *before*
reporting a bug????

jdd

Conversing with people is indeed a useful tool. It helps to identify
whether the bug is already known or whether it really is a bug and not a
user-caused issue. I frequently utilize my presence on IRC to vet out
my issues before deciding whether to file a bug somewhere.

But that's because IRC is second-nature to me and part of my integrated
computing usage on a daily basis. That's not the case for many people,
and it would be next to impossible to come up with a system to require
IRC discussion before filing a bug. Not to mention bug filing isn't
just for users, developers also file bugs on their own projects in
order to keep track of their own work.

Moreover, requiring human interface before filing a bug... well, that
sounds similarly close to phone-support, and we don't really offer that
kind of support. That's usually something for paid software
distributors.

Bryen