Re: [opensuse-project] Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:29:00 +0200
Vincent Untz wrote:

Le mercredi 16 mai 2012, à 07:22 -0500, Bryen M Yunashko a écrit :
On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 14:11 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
I'd really love to have a OBSOLETE resolution, so we could just
mass-close those bugs with a comment saying "We believe this bug is
most
likely fixed in openSUSE 12.1 (or Factory). If you can still
reproduce the bug there, please reopen the bug and move it to
openSUSE 12.1." Alternatively, we can do a mass NEEDINFO-ing of all
the bugs, and wait a
few weeks before closing the bugs that didn't get a reply...

While I get the whole "Hey, its fixed in future release" thing, I
think some people find this offputting. Again, its an issue of
understanding the nature of how things work. We need a clearer
explanation of why we WONTFIX it now in the current release. Some
people want the fix now rather than feel forced to wait for the final
release of next version. Nor might they actually plan on upgrading
with each new release.

Not saying I agree with their thinking, but I can see how they might
feel they're not being cared about if they're told "next release."
Too many people out there are still accustomed to the concept of
Service Packs to fix their current release.

And yes, I know we can't make everyone happy. :-)

I understand that too. But at this point it's really a choice between
status quo (bugzilla is a black hole for many bugs), and try to clean
up most of the old cruft so we can start fresh and attempt to avoid a
similar black hole in the future.

(To do a proper clean up, we'd also need to significantly reduce the
number of open 11.4 and 12.1 bugs, though...)

Avoiding a future "black hole" and cleaning up the current one are
really two separate, independent items. I think we have or can quickly
conjure up a reasonable way for clearing up the current situation, but
we have not yet really addressed how to avoid it in the future.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.3°C)