[opensuse-project] Re: Improving the bug management lifecycle/process
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 03:50:07 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 22:28:32 -0500, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:

I think response times play a factor here. Obviously, a lot of people
probably expect that as soon as they file a bug, someone is looking at
it and responding to it. But that's not always the case, mainly because
of limited manpower and prioritization. It can be demotivating to a bug
filer to get a NEEDINFO response quite some time later and not feel they
care about the bug anymore because they've found an alternative solution
or whatever.

Yes, I think this is absolutely true.

That's one of the reasons I think it's important to approach this in a
very methodical and predictable way. If response times are generally
predictable and there's visible movement (such as moving from "new" to
"assigned" or "needinfo"), then people are more likely (not always, but
more likely) to be patient. But it's hard to be patient if you can't
predict whether it'll be a day, week, month, or several months before you
hear back on it.

I also think something similar to this should be done for FATE, but
that's perhaps a topic for another day. :)

It may be more prudent to first talk about the tool itself. There's
been talk from time to time by people wanting to see FATE and Bugzilla
functionality merged because its too confusing going to two different
places and not clear to some people the distinction between the two
tools.

Yeah, you might be right about that. Looking at the stats on FATE, it
seems that there's a lot of "waiting for votes", but with relatively
little engagement in the voting process from the community (and I don't
know what those stats are, haven't yet worked out a good way to pull more
detailed reports out of FATE) as well as perhaps no solid guidelines on
how many votes something needs before it's considered valid to
investigate (and again, maybe those are there, I'm not as close to FATE
myself as I probably should be), it's difficult to predict outcomes.
What I do see there is a whole bunch of "unconfirmed" (~60% IIRC on
'openSUSE Distribution') feature requests.

But I'd like to stay focused on bugzilla here. Maybe as my current
contract wraps up over the next couple of days, I'll have some time to
(a) dig a bit more into FATE, and (b) start a separate discussion on that.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson