[opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:33:23 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 14:21:21 -0500, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:

Agreed. The same could be said for Canonical/Ubuntu. But at this stage
of the game, we're too well entrenched with the name openSUSE, not just
by familiarity but also because so many things in our infrastructure
refer to "openSUSE." We just have to be creative in trying to figure
out how to convey the message.

While I believe we made a naming mistake originally, I would personally
not advocate a name change either. The time and effort would be just
too much.

Yup, if I learned one thing from watching Novell for years (even before
the time I worked there) it was that if you're going to rebrand, you'd
better have an /extremely/ good reason for it. (I saw that in the food/
drug business as well when I worked for Albertsons).

But point is, we do need to all collectively adopt an attitude of
welcoming and mentoring/guiding. It's a lesson I learned and I try to
do it the same unto others. And this is something we should do
attitudinally, not "policy-ally." (Hey, I just invented a new word!)
Getting people to recognize that they are stakeholders in the Project is
what leads to community growth and contribution.

I agree. The idea of mentoring/guiding/training (in a loose definition,
not in terms of "formal" classroom-style training, of course) is
something that I think would help foster the right spirit in the
community, and bring some cohesion.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson