Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:21:21 -0500
propose rebranding at this stage of the game, nor do I think that
would
be even considered by the project as a whole). This is something
that
RedHat did well by naming their community project "Fedora" - the name
is
different enough that there's no ambiguity for those who are new to
RedHat. That was a smart move.

Agreed. The same could be said for Canonical/Ubuntu. But at this stage
of the game, we're too well entrenched with the name openSUSE, not just
by familiarity but also because so many things in our infrastructure
refer to "openSUSE." We just have to be creative in trying to figure
out how to convey the message.

While I believe we made a naming mistake originally, I would personally
not advocate a name change either. The time and effort would be just
too much.

And yes, I admit, I was a "complainer/yeller" the first time I formally
entered the community. Immediately, one person, JPR, spoke directly
with me and guided me into how to be involved and within weeks I became
fully entrenched in the community. I guess everyone now has someone to
blame for my presence here. :-)

But point is, we do need to all collectively adopt an attitude of
welcoming and mentoring/guiding. It's a lesson I learned and I try to
do it the same unto others. And this is something we should do
attitudinally, not "policy-ally." (Hey, I just invented a new word!)
Getting people to recognize that they are stakeholders in the Project is
what leads to community growth and contribution.

Bryen