[opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:01:07 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 12:10:29 -0500, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:

That's apples and oranges in my opinion. There's a big difference
between a user who uses and simply is dissatisfied and goes somewhere
else. That's "our fault" so to speak if we didn't create something that
the end user is happy with. I say that, of course, to only some extent
because we are obviously not in the business of appeasing every user out
there.

What we're talking about here is how the complaint (or yelling) is
conveyed. "I can't believe this doesn't work! Don't you people ever
test anything?!? SUSE pays all these people and it is broken?!?" That
kind of complaint is not useful because the expectation they have for
openSUSE is unrealistic. openSUSE != SUSE. openSUSE != "The free
version of SLE." openSUSE belongs to everyone, including users. And
thus it is wrong to always assume that something broken is the fault of
SUSE.

Yes and no, I think. While openSUSE is definitely not SLE, it's often
confused for that. We see this in the forums regularly (had a question
yesterday from someone with "SUSE 10.4" - given that openSUSE went to
10.3, I assume they meant SLES 10 SP4), but this is something we'll have
a problem with as long as the names are so close (and I'm not going to
propose rebranding at this stage of the game, nor do I think that would
be even considered by the project as a whole). This is something that
RedHat did well by naming their community project "Fedora" - the name is
different enough that there's no ambiguity for those who are new to
RedHat. That was a smart move.

But some of those who complain/yell are new to OSS and don't /know/ that
they're (potentially) part of the testing team.

I think in some ways we have a visibility problem when it comes to key
pieces of the puzzle when it comes to "new to OSS" users.

This is something that /might/ be addressed by having a good "new user"
portal that a default installation of the web browsers point to. It may
be a matter of just tweaking the existing default home page to include a
link to a page that explains the project, OSS, and how the community
needs to be involved in order for things to be better.

(Maybe that's already there and I've not seen it - that could be because
it's been a while since I've done a clean installation and opened the
browser, or it could be because it isn't as prominent as it should/could
be).

Jim
--
Jim Henderson