[opensuse-project] Re: bugs that are against 11.1
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:54:51 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 18:28:40 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

I think if the bug is old enough, WONTFIX is probably a reasonable way
to close it, but with a note saying "If this is happening in a current
version, let us know and we'll reopen it under the new version" - that
puts the onus on the reporter(s) to check and see if it's on the
current releases.

Yeah, I agree, that works too. It's purely my personal feeling that it
feels better to be asked rather than have the bug closed as WONTFIX.

Good point. It's important to consider the reaction.

Otherwise, you still end up with bugs in old versions (there are still
open bugs on 10.1 and 10.3) that are never going to get fixed.

For example, on 11.3 there are 81 bugs in a NEEDINFO state. That's
effectively got those bugs assigned to the reporter for more info, but
that info hasn't been provided. Maybe they upgraded. Maybe they
switched distros.

In such cases, both reporter and developer have presumably both lost
interest. 81 is not a lot, but I think reports in NEEDINFO can be
auto-closed after e.g. 6 months of inactivity, maybe with an automatic
ping every month. It _is_ possible that someone is waiting to collect
diagnostics, but if they do turn up after e.g. 8 months, re-opening is
not a big deal.

Exactly. Looking at how Codeweavers deals with this sort of thing, I
like what they do in terms of voting on support for a piece of Windows
software - customers are given a fixed number of votes, but after a year
(I think it is), the votes are returned to the customers. They can add
those votes back to the same programs if they want to, but the idea is to
keep their customers engaged.

It's not exactly analogous, since we're talking about bugzilla here, but
conceptually that idea of "if we need info and it isn't provided, the
bug's going to be closed" keeps the reporter engaged in the process.

Checking for bugs in NEEDINFO assigned to me is not something I do every
day, I do occasionally forget bugs I'm supposed to provide some feedback
for. I could do with a weekly mail with a list of NEEDINFO bugs assigned
to me.

On the subject of training, perhaps a demo of how to check bugs one is
somehow involved in would be a way to do that. Or indeed even a standard
query being set up in bugzilla for that purpose (I have that one set up
for my own use and find it very useful).

Increasing that kind of engagement from the user base is important.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson