Re: [opensuse-project] Re: bugs that are against 11.1
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:28:40 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:48:24 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

For example, bugs that are against 11.1 probably aren't going to get
addressed (or may already have been, or may no longer be relevant),
so they should be closed as "WONTFIX".

It would be better to assign them back to the reporter, informing him
that the bug will not be fixed for 11.1, and asking if he has seen
the bug in the latest release (12.1). IMO, _just_ closing
as "WONTFIX" does not encourage more bug reporting.

However, I think our bug-handling/processing is long overdue for
review, the above is merely one of the items on the agenda.

That's a good idea, Per - in many cases, perhaps the bug would still
be valid on 12.1 or 12.2, in which case it should be captured.

But in some cases - for example, a bug written against a specific
kernel version in (again, just spitballing) the 2.4 series? Probably
even if the same symptom is seen in 12.1, the root cause will be
different.

I think if the bug is old enough, WONTFIX is probably a reasonable way
to close it, but with a note saying "If this is happening in a current
version, let us know and we'll reopen it under the new version" - that
puts the onus on the reporter(s) to check and see if it's on the
current releases.

Yeah, I agree, that works too. It's purely my personal feeling that it
feels better to be asked rather than have the bug closed as WONTFIX.

Otherwise, you still end up with bugs in old versions (there are still
open bugs on 10.1 and 10.3) that are never going to get fixed.

For example, on 11.3 there are 81 bugs in a NEEDINFO state. That's
effectively got those bugs assigned to the reporter for more info, but
that info hasn't been provided. Maybe they upgraded. Maybe they
switched distros.

In such cases, both reporter and developer have presumably both lost
interest. 81 is not a lot, but I think reports in NEEDINFO can be
auto-closed after e.g. 6 months of inactivity, maybe with an automatic
ping every month. It _is_ possible that someone is waiting to collect
diagnostics, but if they do turn up after e.g. 8 months, re-opening is
not a big deal.
Checking for bugs in NEEDINFO assigned to me is not something I do every
day, I do occasionally forget bugs I'm supposed to provide some
feedback for. I could do with a weekly mail with a list of NEEDINFO
bugs assigned to me.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.8°C)