[opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 15:51:05 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:46:26 +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

How do you think I learned about our infrastructure? How do you think I
keep up with changes in our infrastructure? I constantly pick up tasks
where I have no idea how to do them. Then I sit down and figure out how
to do them. I try things, read things, I nag my peers about help, I get
on peoples nerves about details and I make lots of mistakes. In short: I
do something about it.

That's what I'm trying to tell you. You have to take your contribution
into your own hands, you can't rely on someone else to teach or do
something for you. Do it yourself.

The thing is, different people learn in different ways. Some (like you
and I) don't have a problem with just diving in and trying to help.

Others prefer to receive guidance. I think it's also important to be
organised so there isn't a duplication of effort, and in some cases (such
as processing bug reports), consistency in method is important for the
developers so they know what to expect (knowing what to expect means less
work, as there's less time to figure out how the bug got to them).

But you're right that identifying the problem isn't sufficient - problem
identification is only part of the puzzle. There also needs to be an
effort to solve it.

Given that what jdd is talking about is a training issue, and part of my
background is in training, I'm happy to try to take that on in my spare
time. I'll start a separate discussion later today to get the ball
rolling.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson