Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 09:08:15 -0500
On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 13:41 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
I have the feeling (not necessarily from your comments but from
others)
that people expect that this magically happens if they just win "the
feedback argument" with "the developers". I can make you a promise
today: It won't solve itself.

Also correct. I see this in the forums as well, users who complain
that
"no testing" has been done - but who don't realise that they /are/
potentially part of the testing team.

Just to throw something into the mix.

I totally agree. If you don't contribute to testing then you don't have
much right to complain. Part of the problem I've seen with some of
these complainers over the years is that they haven't quite understood
the distinction between SLE and openSUSE. They think that openSUSE
belongs to SUSE and don't get it yet that openSUSE belongs to community.
I think that's something we still have to work at to make a stronger
distinction between the two camps.

But just very recently, I encountered another "complainer." This person
speaks almost no English, so I had to rely almost completely on Google
Translate + another person in the IRC channel who knew both Spanish and
English. :-) The complainer was indeed complaining about poor testing
of 12.1 where the person found what apparently was a serious bug.

We told the person to file via bugzilla and the person promptly refused
saying s/he was uncomfortable doing that because it required knowledge
of English. At first I was going to say "Well just use Google Translate
like I'm doing now." but then I realized it would further be a problem
because the bug owner would require some feedback with the bug reporter
as investigation of the bug progressed. And I can see how that could
get messy and somewhat intimidating. I could actually empathize with
this person at this moment.

And it makes me realize that there are potentially hundreds, if not
thousands, of testers/reporters out there who don't test/report simply
because of language barriers. And I've been tossing this around in my
head the last couple of weeks: "How do we break down that barrier?" and
truthfully... I can't come up with anything solid.

Bryen