Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 17:54:37 -0500
On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 00:23 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
While input from users is valuable (and there is a number of VERY
knowledgeable non-developers lurking on this list giving VERY valuable
feedback from time to time), too much heavily distracts from the work
to be done. Some developers have unsubscribed from our core
development list(s) for this reason and frankly I care far more about
getting them back than getting a bit less input from users.

But this goes back to our earlier discussion - how do we balance our
core lists when it comes to amount of traffic, feedback we get,
checkups on the 'real-ness of issues', quality, moderation etcetera.
Something to discuss at oSC (October, Praha, more info coming soon).

I don't think itwould be fair to assume that all developers who left a
particular ML did so because they disliked the rancor going on in that
list. Some simply avoid ML's because its just not their thing. They're
simply not interested in discussions whether it has substance or not.
And that's fine, I can respect that.

But I think what we're really concerned about is how to get the
endresult useful bits that come out of any discussion. And I'll grant
that some comments on any given thread are clearly outrageously
inappropriate or unproductive. But others are sometimes interpreted as
unproductive by some and productive by others.

It would be interesting if we could come up with a way to summarize the
final points of any given discussion and convey it to any given
stakeholders (including those who are not on a ML but are directly
involved in the subject matter.) I fear though that human reality
dictates that we'll never achieve such a lofty goal. Getting someone or
some team to diligently summarize every relevant thread is simply never
going to happen.

I guess the point I'm making here is that we're discussing how to keep a
discussion productive, and we're not discussing how to extract the
productive bits of a discussion to implement somewhere.

Bryen