Re: [opensuse-project] Introducing the Freight Train

On 05/07/2012 03:46 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 05/07/2012 05:07 PM, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
* Bryen M Yunashko<suserocks@xxxxxxxxx> [2012-05-07 15:57]:
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:50 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2012 11:05:04 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 04/27/2012 10:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Hey all!

As SUSE is gearing up for SLE 12, SUSE is doing more in openSUSE.
Features like systemd and grub2 are examples and more will follow.

I thought it worked the other way around:

You seem to misunderstand this, let me blog about this another time in
more detail.

I've done this now on my personal blog:
http://jaegerandi.blogspot.de/2012/05/opensuse-upstream-of-suse-linux.html

openSUSE is the upstream of SLES, so SLES work will be done in
openSUSE.
But openSUSE does not need to accept any of these changes, as
upstream -
and not as integral part - we in openSUSE can reject those...

Andreas

I'm liking that we're referring to openSUSE as upstream from SLEx rather
than "basis of SLEx" as we have done in the past. The difference in
message and intent between the single word "upstream" vs. "basis" is
significant and upstream shows that openSUSE is truly meant to be a
community project. The growing pervasiveness of referring to
"upstream" is alone a big step forward for us.

I doubt that this has much practical significance due to the
personnel overlap. The overwhelming majority of development work
on the core distribution is already done by community members
employed by SUSE, so this whole upstream - downstream distinction
is more of a theoretical nature.

It has nothing to do with personnel overlap - the point is more the
relationship between the two of them. While there might be many things
that SLE engineers like to see in openSUSE, the openSUSE community might
not like it and has IMHO the power to veto it.

For example, if grub2 is not working in time for openSUSE 12.2, we as
openSUSE community should say it's not time to use it by default etc -
even if further testing might be beneficial for SLE.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. If grub2 is the new favorit of the maintainer and he/she simply decides to no longer maintain grub, then someone else has to step up. The stepping up part doesn't always work so well and there is a bit of extraordinary power held by those in these "special" roles.

But, yes, theoretically the community could say no to the new feature and live with an unmaintained package instead.

But we have in 2011 more non-SUSE folks contributing - so if we vote,
the non-SUSE folks would win ;)

[*] e.g. ~80% of all changes to all Factory packages in 2010 and
2011 are authored by SUSE employees

With my scripts I get 72 % for 2010 and 56 % for 2011 (checking single
entries in .changes (and I know that some SUSE employees use a non-SUSE
address there, so handled those specifically).

Wow, this is great. This is data that should be "paraded" around a bit more to show the growth of the community, where are those marketing people? ;)

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx