Re: [opensuse-project] download.opensuse.org IPV6 address breaks updates

On 2012-05-07 20:30, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On Monday 07 May 2012 20.20:32 Carlos E. R. wrote:

Then zypper should be able to handle a -4 parameter, which then like
in curl and wget and most program forbid the try to use ipv6 ...

That is exactly what I mean. :-)

extract of man curl -4, --ipv4 If libcurl is capable of resolving
an address to multiple IP versions (which it is if it is
IPv6-capable), this option tells libcurl to resolve names to IPv4
addresses only.

-6, --ipv6 If libcurl is capable of resolving an address to multiple
IP versions (which it is if it is IPv6-capable), this option tells
libcurl to resolve names to IPv6 addresses only. default
statistics.

Can we tell this to libcurl, via a configuration file somewhere? Or do we
need a zypper/yast patch?

A missing in development of zypper, bug, enhancement ?

Dunno.

Just don't forget that some part of the world can't use ipv4, and one
day or another ipv6 will be mandatory.

Absolutely, I know that IPv6 is comming to all the world sooner or later.
But we need a method to force one or the other for those that do not have
both.

I'm looking at man curl, which I understand is what zypper/yast use. In
the entry for "-K/--config <config file>", it says that it checks for a
default config file:

+++···············
When curl is invoked, it always (unless -q is used)
checks for a default config file and uses it if found. The default config
file is checked for in the following places in this order:

1) curl tries to find the "home dir": It first checks for
the CURL_HOME and then the HOME environment variables. Failing that,
it uses getpwuid() on UNIX-like systems (which returns the home dir given
the current user in your system). On Windows, it then checks for the
APPDATA variable, or as a last resort the '%USERPRO-FILE%\Application Data'.

So, would a /root/.curlrc work with zypper/yast? I have just created one,
and I'll wait to see what happens.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)