Re: [opensuse-project] download.opensuse.org IPV6 address breaks updates
On 05/07/2012 11:49 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-05-07 17:48, Larry Finger wrote:

If you modify /etc/resolv.conf and add public name servers that
support IPv6, you will bypass any problems such as you describe. I use
Google's name servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Why is that?

If using IPv6 servers breaks my setup because I have no IPv6 internet,
how setting a nameserver that gives me IPv6 addresses can help me?

What I need is *no* IPv6 name resolving.

The problem is that there is a brain-dead name server somewhere in your chain that returns a record saying the "I support IPv6", but then times out when a request is made. That is what happens, or at least used to happen with my ISP's DNS service. By using Google, I bypass them unless both of Google's servers are down.

If IPv6 is enabled in your kernel, then it will work as long as the name servers cooperate. That has been true for quite a while.

Larry