Re: [opensuse-project] download.opensuse.org IPV6 address breaks updates
  • From: Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 11:53:12 -0400

On 05/07/2012 11:30 AM, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
I am seeing this with an openSUSE 12.1 system at home, and also a
Factory system at work:

% host download.opensuse.org
download.opensuse.org has address 195.135.221.134
download.opensuse.org has IPv6 address 2001:67c:2178:8::13

And then, when running zypper patch or zypper up, I see

Retrieving: repomd.xml [error]
Download (curl) error for
'http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.1/repodata/repomd.xml':
Error code: Connection failed
Error message: Failed to connect to 2001:67c:2178:8::13: Network is
unreachable

Alas, my provider nor that network at work support IPv6. Still, my
system has IPv6 enabled since roaming around on different networks,
IPv6 may be present, or even necessary there.

(This does not happen all the time, sometimes if I retry a bit later
the system uses IPv4 and everything works.)

The system will always try both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. It just happens that only the last failed attempt is printed as the error by zypper. There's a bug for this.

Other things that come into play are re-directs to mirrors. For some reason we appear to have an extraordinary issue with the networks after the disk issues last week.

Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx
rschweik@xxxxxxxxxx