Re: [opensuse-project] Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 17:07:36 +0200
* Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx> [2012-05-07 15:57]:
On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 15:50 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2012 11:05:04 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 04/27/2012 10:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Hey all!

As SUSE is gearing up for SLE 12, SUSE is doing more in openSUSE.
Features like systemd and grub2 are examples and more will follow.

I thought it worked the other way around:

You seem to misunderstand this, let me blog about this another time in
more detail.

I've done this now on my personal blog:
http://jaegerandi.blogspot.de/2012/05/opensuse-upstream-of-suse-linux.html

openSUSE is the upstream of SLES, so SLES work will be done in openSUSE.
But openSUSE does not need to accept any of these changes, as upstream -
and not as integral part - we in openSUSE can reject those...

Andreas

I'm liking that we're referring to openSUSE as upstream from SLEx rather
than "basis of SLEx" as we have done in the past. The difference in
message and intent between the single word "upstream" vs. "basis" is
significant and upstream shows that openSUSE is truly meant to be a
community project. The growing pervasiveness of referring to
"upstream" is alone a big step forward for us.

I doubt that this has much practical significance due to the
personnel overlap. The overwhelming majority of development work
on the core distribution is already done by community members
employed by SUSE, so this whole upstream - downstream distinction
is more of a theoretical nature.

[*] e.g. ~80% of all changes to all Factory packages in 2010 and
2011 are authored by SUSE employees
--
Guido Berhoerster