Re: [opensuse-project] When is a mirror not a mirror?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 14:59:50 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-05-04 06:21, Rajko M. wrote:

Web proxies used for the same purpose with normal web sites don't
work fine for this type of download, ask Per for details. Problem is
that someone using download.opensuse.org can be redirected to
different servers, and web proxy will have to store the same file
many times, defeating its purpose.

Plus that zypper (or whatever library it uses) does segmented downloads
spread across a selection of mirrors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_downloading

This is very good for optimal utilization of downstream bandwidth, but
it's (almost) impossible to proxy.

side note:

For this I requested time ago that a clever yast proxy be developed,
so that it could be used as automatic local repo cache in small sites.

With a couple of custom add-ons, squid will do fine. I've got such a
proxy setup running since November, you're welcome to try it out.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)