Re: [opensuse-project] When is a mirror not a mirror?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 14:12:45 +0200
Basil Chupin wrote:

My ISP is iinet.net.au - and has been for some years now.

iinet.net.au is listed as one of the mirrors for openSUSE files and is
listed as able to provide all updates for the openSUSE distro.

Yep, it's here: http://mirrors.opensuse.org/list/all.html

With the oS servers out of action (but now are about to come back
online as per Stefan's post) I have been trying to upgrade KDE to
4.8.2 over the past couple of days but the widehate server has been
rejecting my (and others) attempts to access it to do this upgrade.

So I looked up the list of mirrors and found that my ISP is listed as
being a source for my upgrade of KDE - which is very nice because
downloading from iinet.net.au costs me nothing as I am it's customer
and can downloading from what iinet call its "Freezone".

The only problem is is that iinet is not a true mirror for openSUSE. I
had to go to a Belgian site to be able to upgrade to KDE 4.8.2 on my
new installation.

I have written to iinet on several occasions in the past telling
them/complaining to them that their file directories are NOT
up-to-date nor do they contain all the files - and always received the
response that "the information has been passed on to the [engineers]
for action". Well, nothing has been done now for, what?, 3 years.

May I therefore make a request to whoever maintains the list of
mirrors handling the openSUSE distribution that s/he either writes to
iinet,net.au and gets them to action this deficiency or removes
iinet.net.au from the list of mirrors.

I was about to say that the mirrors site above has an indication
of "mirror status", i.e. wheter it is currently update-to-date or not,
but I can't find that indicator now.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.9°C)