[opensuse-project] Re: [RFC] - Attempt to build open SLES-based distro
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:41:23 +0000 (UTC)

On 2011-09-27 19:39:28 (+0000), Jim Henderson
<hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:32:52 +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
[...]
Actually, the only obligation SUSE has with SLES there, to comply
with the GPL and other open source licenses, is to make the source of
updates available when you have a subscription. As you can't get
ahold of the updates without a subscription.

I don't think that's entirely true either, though - someone has to have
a subscription, sure, but AFAIK the GPL doesn't permit SUSE from
restricting the distribution of those updates or the source by a
recipient of those packages.

So, if I don't have a subscription to SLES but I know someone who does,
they are free to distribute any GPL'ed software from their subscription
to me if they want to.

If the code is GPL'ed, then the binary and source can be redistributed
by anyone who obtains it from SUSE.

Yes, correct, that is what I meant to say, thanks for the patch :)

No problem, Pascal. :) (I've never considered something like that a
'patch' before, cool way of thinking of it <g>)

Jim

--
Jim Henderson