Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [RFC] - Attempt to build open SLES-based distro
On 2011-09-27 19:39:28 (+0000), Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:32:52 +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
[...]
Actually, the only obligation SUSE has with SLES there, to comply with
the GPL and other open source licenses, is to make the source of updates
available when you have a subscription. As you can't get ahold of the
updates without a subscription.

I don't think that's entirely true either, though - someone has to have a
subscription, sure, but AFAIK the GPL doesn't permit SUSE from
restricting the distribution of those updates or the source by a
recipient of those packages.

So, if I don't have a subscription to SLES but I know someone who does,
they are free to distribute any GPL'ed software from their subscription
to me if they want to.

If the code is GPL'ed, then the binary and source can be redistributed by
anyone who obtains it from SUSE.

Yes, correct, that is what I meant to say, thanks for the patch :)

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green